Home San Francesco Del Deserto
  • Italian - Italy
  • English (United Kingdom)
  • Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)
  • French (Fr)
  • Español(Spanish Formal International)
San Francesco del Deserto PDF Print E-mail

San Francesco del deserto is one of the most impressive and beautiful island of the lagoon of Venice. The island was inhabited in olden times and there are finds from 1st, 4th and 5th century d. C. Attested is that in 1220 St. Francis landed there with an anonymous companion on his return from the East. In the Legenda Maior of friar Bonaventura da Bagnoregio is narrated of the prodigious miracle of the birds. In march 1233 the island was donated to the Order by Jacopo Michiel, venetian patrician, who belonged to the Doge’s branch of the family and was nephew, on his wife’s side, to the patriarch of Grado, Angelo Barozzi. At the time of the donation two churches were in existence, one of wich was dedicated to the Saint. In The 15th century the island was abandoned for more than twenty years because of the insalubrious state of the lagoon and for this reason the island was called “ island of the desert” from the inhabitants of the near islands.

Our boats are every day available to reach the island of San Francesco del deserto from Burano or Treporti.

Visits from 9.00 to 11.00, in the afternoon from 15.00 to 17.00

Tel and fax 0415286863

www.sanfrancescodeldeserto.it

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

Our Images

  • Loading Images ...
  • Loading Images ...
  • Loading Images ...
  • Loading Images ...
  • Loading Images ...
  • Loading Images ...
  • Loading Images ...
  • Loading Images ...
  • Loading Images ...
  • Loading Images ...
Main page Contacts Search Contacts Search